Monday 22 September 2014

My interview at Cartoon Network

Soooooo! Today was a pretty big day for me. About two weeks ago I went to a university reunion with my friend Steven, here I was introduced by my teacher to an ex-student who did the same course as me. I was told she worked at Cartoon Network and they were looking for Junior Motion graphics designers. Whey. She passed on my work and within days I got an email from the senior designer asking for my CV. 

"No. Damn. Way." I thought to myself. I went home adjusted my cv to look super schmexy and bam it was gone. A day later I got another email inviting me to an interview. Interview was today. And well I don't even know what just happened. 

I personally feel like I didn't get the job due to my work being a bit too "filmic" but that's just me, in no way did they hint that in the interview. 

I was introduced to the senior designer and creative director. I was pretty much shitting myself but trying to look like I was pretty confident. 

They asked me about my background and were very heavily interested in my experience. Quite frankly they were more interested in my experience than my actual reel which I found odd but it must make sense to them. I began to explain my projects individually one by one to both of them and Yeh it was going okay. Until! 

I was suddenly asked "can you show us stuff you're particularly happy with in terms of typography?" 

Shit. Type and Adeel just don't go. Well it's more that I haven't completely learnt about it and not fully mastered. I literally only had two pieces of work that consisted of any sort of type and it just looked so bad and not up to par with my actual design work. 

They both watched my short film RED and were pretty impressed with the shots. The creative director said I have an eye for VFX and shots to which in my head I died a little. That was nice. Also! If you're reading this The Effect, Cartoon Network have seen the music video I did for you guys. Love me. LOL. 

Being my first professional interview it was a pretty interesting experience. I crapped myself the whole way through but I'm glad it's done and now I'm awaiting my results. If I don't get in, I'll just try harder next time.

Pray for me. 

Stay Caffeinated.

Adeel

No comments:

Post a Comment