Saturday 11 October 2014

Keeping Motivated and Finishing Things




I've always struggled with motivation and in all honesty I hardly ever finish anything I start. So many times I've written something or started an animation project that just will never see the light of day after about a days work. Why I'm like this, I honestly have no idea. A lot of the time I have this amazing image in my head and when I try to recreate that, it just doesn't work out the way I wanted and I just stop half way.

So! I am attempting to commit myself to two thing from now on. One of which is this blog, I don't imagine a lot of people read this but to be honest it's more for me than anyone else. Days like today where I'm not feeling to great it's nice to just write and hey if I help someone by doing so, super.

My other commitment is something I call the '30 Days of Motion Design' and it's quite literally what it says on the tin. I've decided that I will be making an animation at least everyday until I have 30 really really nice bits of motion graphics work. I am so committed to this because I honestly think it's about time I found a job and made a move with my career. I didn't get the Cartoon Network job and that's okay, I learnt a lot from it. They were even nice enough to give me a few pointers for next time, claiming my work was more geared to VFX and film rather than motion graphics. Which makes sense! I mean I come from a VFX background and the interview was so unexpected. I honestly don't think I was ready for it but I needed it. So yes, I am now trying to make a giant pile of work for my next Motion Graphics reel.

I think it's actually going pretty well, I'm on day 10 now and I don't feel like I've learnt much in terms of technical stuff but on a more creative
basis. Something I've always struggled with was the actual design of a graphic, I mean my technical knowledge is pretty good and sometimes I get lucky with the design work. When I decided todo the 30 days, I knew I had to step away from constantly learning technical aspects but instead, using the technical to make something effective for design. So it's definitely time to teach myself the design part of it all. 

My tip to you guys is to stop settling. It's one of the hardest things for me... the will to move forward and not stay in one place. It's definitely not easy but I personally feel like we should always look to move forward and not stop or settle, even after you've reached your goal... move forward.

"poor man thinks for the weekend rich man thinks for the years ahead" and that's not even talking about money, because money has never bugged me... like my favourite poet Taylor Mali says

"If you have this (head), you follow this (heart) and if someone tries to judge you based on this (money) you give them this (the finger)." - Taylor Mali (What Teachers Make)

Straight up. When I quote "rich man" no I don't mean money, I mean the one that has truly lived life to their complete fullest, one that never stopped experiencing. The way I see it is; in order to create success from nothing you must be willing to move forward and work when everyone else wouldn't. 


"I'm on a blood buzz, yes I am, I'm on a blood...buzz" - The National


Stay Caffeinated Guys,
Adeel.

No comments:

Post a Comment