Tuesday 18 November 2014

If they can do it better, work with them.

Ever since secondary school I always remember being the guy who thought I could do it all by myself. Back then all I did was make movies and I tended to do them all alone. As I went off to college I became even more cocky with the way I believed I could do pretty much everything in film. Mostly because I had the will to learn it all. Then came university and that's where everything started changing. Again, all my projects I did alone and hey I got decently graded for it but I found that all my friends were making these amazing pieces together as teams and that was interesting to me. It almost just told me to sit back down and wear boots my size.

It took me a while to get adjusted to this idea but pretty soon I was hearing "yeah, he's so awesome with sound", "OMG Thomas is such an amazing cinematographer" and then there was me "Adeel is the VFX guy in the class" and you know... I was good with that. In a lot of ways this is what steered me into VFX and motion graphics, I enjoyed doing it and well I was pretty good at it too.

So, as time went on I began working in peoples groups as the "VFX guy" and man that is really where my best work came from. Because, the cinematography was amazing, the sound was awesome and well that aided my VFX work and vice versa.

So there it began, I started incorporating people in my own projects, work got a lot better from there. Yes, it's good to be good at everything but someone will always be better than you. Don't see this as competition but use them, work together and make something better.

For example, those two drawings at top... this was meant to be an independent project of mine and well I can't draw... clearly. However! my brother can. His drawing is on the right and mine on the left. Now my project has become our project and it looks 200x better than anything I could have made alone.

and with that,

Stay Caffeinated guys,

Adeel

No comments:

Post a Comment